Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Poem for Melanie's Birthday

BESTEST FRIENDS IN THE WORLDED

My first memory was the day you performed
the magic show in Miss Sullivan’s class
You invited me to your Cabbage Patch party;
I brought my Cyndi Lauper record

By the fifth grade we were close enough to share the same coat
and dress up as the two-headed roller skater
Slipped on Isotoners to cat-foot it onto Garfield’s street
and “spy” on passing cars
took them off to face-paint the soles of our feet

We danced to the tune of bum-bum, kitty-kitty
where the rapists and Jersey barriers play
Crossed-dressed and ran from Mugsy and men in Broncos
Snorted Smarties and trafficked gumballs

Wished on the same shooting star
Waited 40 years to jump off the ironing board
and for you to clean the bunny cage

Hitched the ride to Nana’s
laughing to stop having fun back there!
Put our heads together to make
my brown eyes, yours, blue

Your one kidney, my two
Always one more than you
I’d give you both
Infinity

2003

No comments:

Post a Comment