Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Not a big fan, but...

August 27, 2006

Does romantic love really exist? Can we be happy without it?

Hawke the person ponders these questions too: "We're under the impression that we do need romantic love, which leaves a lot of people feeling inadequate. People don't need a boyfriend or a girlfriend to give life meaning; they're complete already." Then he can't help but add, "Let's face it, what's the most amazing thing that's ever happened to you? Was it really something at work? Some people have been in gunfights, but most haven't. Some people have had mad, torrid love affairs across the globe, but most of us haven't. The best moments in my life, the real high points, are connecting with somebody."

So the opportunity for satisfaction can be right under our nose? "I've always believed that it's in meeting our responsibilities that we actually find happiness," Hawke says. ....While Hawke admits that marriage can lock a person in, it also brought a welcome readjustment to his priorities....Yet there is something about being married that can make you sleepy. Out on a few dates recently, Hawke says how nice it's been to be forced to try hard to engage. "I'll be sitting at the table thinking, Damn, I've got some interesting things to say. I didn't even know that." He strokes his goatee, feigning smugness. "Then I'll think, Wow, if I'd tried this hard to be interesting in my marriage, I might've had a very different experience."

- (he almost lost me at goatee, but...) an excerpt from an interview with Ethan Hawke

No comments:

Post a Comment